If you’re getting the WordPress error message:
“.pdf exceeds the maximum upload size for this site.”
You’re trying to upload a file to WordPress that’s too big. You can fix this by increasing the max filesize upload limit for your hosting account. This solution is for Windows users who have a Linux hosting account. Most websites are built on Linux hosting.
Increase max filesize upload limit for your hosting account:
1. In Windows, open the program Notepad.
2. Enter this text into the Notepad document:
upload_max_filesize = 10M
post_max_size = 10M
max_execution_time = 300
3. Save the file as php.ini.
4. Using FTP or cPanel, upload php.ini to the root directory(public_html) of your hosting account.
5. The php.ini changes won’t take effect until a new site visit is detected. Since you probably visited the site recently(and your IP was cached), refreshing the page won’t work. try visiting the site in Chrome incognito mode or use a proxy service to fake a new site visitor and refresh the page.